Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Franken-cake!!!

This is my latest cake. It is not a beauty. I had some problems with it; however, it tasted WONDERFUL! It is a White almond sour cream cake with raspberry fruit filling and buttercream icing.

Here's the story. I was bored. I had a big ball of brown fondant in my fridge leftover from my polka dot cake. I also had all the ingredients sitting around to make this cake and filling. Jim is away. So, I decided to make the cake. I had never tried this recipe before, and was anxious to. Well, the cakes turned out beautifully. They were so moist and had such a fine crumb. Oh my! The raspberry filling came out great too! So, I put a small slather of buttercream on the bottom cake so that my filling wouldn't seep into the cake. I did the same for the top layer that would be touching the filling. Then it was time for the filling. I thought I had all of my bases covered, so I put a generous layer of filling in, being careful not to get it so close to the edges. Of course I didn't want it to leak! LOL!!! Well, when I put my top cake on, my yummy raspberry filling came OOZING out of the sides! OMG! What to do? Well, I smooshed my cakes together (trying to get some of the filling out) and wiped the cake down. I then proceeded to ice my cake with the buttercream.... Well, the cake continued to ooze! My beautiful white BC was turning RASPBERRY RED!!!! And it was VERY hard to get my BC to stick to that cake after the filling smeared everywhere. Needless to say, this cake was ugly! It looked like a Frankencake!! LOL! But let me tell you, this cake tasted gourmet!

I have since learned what I did wrong. Obviously, I should have made a 'dam' around my filling to prevent oozing. Well.. practice makes perfect, right? I'm a work in progress.

I friend of mine just let me know that she wants me to make her baby shower cake. I have an idea of what I want to do.... But I'm not gonna share it yet! You will just have to wait!!!

Jim has been gone for a week. I'm missing him SUPER BAD! He's trying to be home by Friday. That would be awesome. Oh, and my mom is coming to visit tomorrow. I don't know how it's gonna go, but we will see. For the past year and a half, I have been having mommy issues and haven't really been talking to her much. But I hate drama and I want my son to grow up knowing her. I don't want him to ask me one day why I kept him away from her, so I'm gonna try to deal with it all just for him!

0 comments: